FAQs and Contact Info

Q:  How do I find and order Federal Surplus Property for my agency?

A:  Property Exclusive for Eligible Recipients

  • A limited inventory of property is stored in the State and Federal Surplus warehouse, located at 729 Kakoi Street, Honolulu, HI 96819. View property online, then contact the Surplus Property Office at [email protected] or via phone at 831-6757 to place your order.
  • GSAXcess® is a web based program that allows eligible users to screen for military and civilian federal surplus property on‐line.  Individual access and passwords are required.  To request access, email the following information the Surplus Property Office at [email protected].

First Name
Last Name
Phone Number

With an individual code, you can create your own want list in GSAXcess and receive email notifications when your desired item is available.

Item search or “screening” is easy. Users may search by item, category, location and many other criteria. This allows the user the greatest flexibility in finding needed items.

Once you’ve located an item you want:

Obtain the “Item Control Number” (active link, 2nd column of search page).
Send an e‐mail requesting the item to [email protected] with your contact information and the item control number.

Please make note of the location. If allocated, you will be responsible to pick up the material.

The Surplus staff will submit the request to GSA, which determines allocations, then will inform you of your request status.  If the material is allocated to your agency, it must be picked up within 14 days.


Q:  Why do donees have to pay for property if this is a donation program?

A:  The Federal Government donates the property, and GSA allocates it to the State Agencies for Surplus Property (SASP). We require donees to pay a Service and Handling charge (S&H) for each item to cover the SASP’s operating expenses that are not appropriated in the State budget, such as salaries, equipment, facilities, and the transportation of the property.


Q:  What does surplus property cost? 

A:  A Service & Handling charge payable to the Surplus Property Office is administered for the transfer of all surplus property. This service charge funds the Surplus Property Program in Hawaii.
Fees are determined/vary based on a percentage of the property acquisition cost, type, condition and quantity of the items.  All federal program restrictions apply to this property.


Q:  What are the restrictions on property received? 

A:  Generally, property must be put into use and used for one year. During this period, the property may not be sold, traded, cannibalized, or destroyed without Surplus Property Office permission. Depending on the property and whether it is federal or state surplus, there are other restrictions. Please discuss such situations with the surplus staff.


Q:  Is my agency eligible to participate in the Surplus Property Program?

A:  Customers eligible to participate in the surplus property program include state and local governments, eligible nonprofit organizations providing health, educational, or homeless services, and some small businesses working with the Small Business Administration.  For specific eligibility requirements, please contact the surplus personnel or complete the application online.  Property is available to the general public through internet auctions.


Q:  What types of property can my agency obtain from the Surplus Property Office?

A:  Any property the state and federal government designates as surplus property is available. Common types of property include office furniture, computer equipment, motor vehicles and heavy equipment. Surplus Property will also assist with locating and acquiring non-traditional surplus property items. Requested property must meet agency mission requirements.


Q:  How long does it take to establish my agency’s eligibility?

A:  If you don’t know if your organization is already enrolled, please contact us at 808-831-6757, it only takes a few minutes to check. If the organization is not enrolled, it depends entirely on the accuracy and completeness of the application and supporting documentation. The organization must be available for a site visit.


Q:  What opportunities are available to the general public? 

A:  Public Access to Property:


Q:  How can I get property for my personal/private use? 

A:  All property received through the surplus program must be used by the qualified agency. You may acquire property for your personal/private use only through public internet auctions.

Public Access to Property:


Q:  Will you pack and ship? 

A:  No. Property is sold as-is, where-is and it is the buyer’s responsibility to pack, load and ship all property.


Q:  Can I return something I don’t want?   

A:  No, all surplus sales are as-is, where-is and are final. Bidders are invited and strongly encouraged to inspect property before they bid. Once property is removed, it cannot be returned.


State Inventory offer to Surplus

Q:  What items are the Surplus Property Office not accepting?

Any property with remaining useful life must be posted on the Inventory Excess State Property List for one month before being offered to Surplus Property Office.

A:  Surplus Property Office will not accept the following items:

  • Electronic equipment 10 years or older: Monitors, Computers, Printers, and Scanners
  • Any four-legged base chairs due to safety concerns
  • All press wood furniture
  • Furniture that needs to be dismantled for transportation
  • Buildings and Infrastructures

In lieu of contacting the Surplus Property Office, agencies may print and attach this Q&A with their disposal applications when requesting a disposal approval for the items mentioned above.

The required Surplus Property Branch (SPB) information, as stated on the Procurement Circular 2014-17(A), Amendment 1, may be replaced with a notation of “See attached Surplus Q&A for the unacceptable items”.  For audit purposes, the name with signature of the disposing agency’s personnel, who reviewed this Q&A and declared that all items on the disposal application are the unacceptable items mentioned above, shall also be included on the SPB information.

Please contact us for exception.


For more information about the Surplus Property Office, contact:

Surplus Property Management Office

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (808) 831-6757