Veteran organizations are those organizations that are nationally recognized by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs under section 5902 of title 38, whose membership is substantially composed of veterans (as defined under section 101 of title 38). The term “veteran” means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.
Local chapters, districts, or other organizational entities of the organization whose membership is made up of at least 33% veterans (as many of the “recognized” organization are national organizations) by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs may be considered as such veteran organization.
- African American PTSD Association
- American Ex-Prisoners of Wars, Inc.
- American GI Forum National Veteran Outreach Program
- American Legion
- Armed Forces Services Corporation
- Army and Navy Union, USA, Inc.
- Associates of Vietnam Veteran of America
- Blinded Veterans Association
- Catholic War Veteran of the U.S.A., Inc.
- Disabled American Veterans
- Fleet Reserve Association
- Gold Star Wives of America, Inc.
- Italian American War Veterans of the United States, Inc.
- Jewish War Veteran of the U.S.A.
- Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc.
- Marine Corps League
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- National Amputation Foundation, Inc.
- National Association for Black Veterans, Inc.
- National Association of County Veterans Service Officers
- Navy Mutual Aid Association
- Non Commissioned Officer Association of the USA
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Polish Legion of American Veterans, USA
- Retired Enlisted Association
- United Spanish War Vets
- United Spinal Association Inc.
- Vietnam Era Veterans Association
- Veteran of Foreign Wars US
- Vietnam Veterans of America
- Vets of Vietnam War and Vets Coalition
Complete the application for eligibility and provide documentary evidence of the following:
- Complete narrative about your organization, including:
- Description of services provided;
- Percentage of membership comprised of veterans; and
- Facility information & location.
- Proof of affiliation with an eligible veterans organization recognized by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs under section 5902 of title 38 of the FORVETS Act of 2013 (see Dept. of Veterans website: http://www.va.gov/ogc/apps/accreditation/index.asp.)