SPO Conferences and Special Training Events
Telecast of SPOCon 2019
‘Olelo Community Media has provided cable cast dates of SPOCon 2019.
Hawaii Procurement Conference: SPOCon 2019 – Aloha & Welcome and General Session
3/15/2020 7:00 PM Olelo 49
3/18/2020 8:00 AM Olelo 49
3/23/2020 2:30 PM Olelo 49
3/29/2020 10:30 PM Olelo 49
Hawaii Procurement Confernce: SPOCon 2019 – Goods & Services and Hawaii Procurement Professional Excellence Award
3/15/2020 8:30 PM Olelo 49
3/19/2020 8:30 AM Olelo 49
3/24/2020 2:30 PM Olelo 49
3/30/2020 10:30 PM Olelo 49
Mahalo to all who participated in this year’s SPOCon. Approximately 140 government purchasing and contracting professionals, 34 businesses that have state-wide contracts, and various special speakers came together to make this event a success. We are grateful to keynote speaker Tammy Rimes and Comptroller Curt Otaguro for sharing words of inspiration and encouragement.
Mahalo also to ‘Olelo Community Media and staff from Office of Enterprise Technology Services for videorecording the event. Portions of SPOCon will be televised on ‘Olelo; stay tuned for a broadcast schedule.
Agenda and Presentation Notes:
Track 1 Goods & Services
- “Source Selection Plan: Clues to Creating an Effective Procurement Roadmap”- presented by Donn Tsuruda-Kashiwabara and Lori Cervantes of the State Procurement Office
- “Sustainability: If can, can; if no can, what can?”- presented by Carey Ann Sasaki, Matthew Chow, and Danielle Bass
- “Effective Contract Management” – presented by Tammy Rimes
Track 2: Construction
- Panel Discussion: How the Hawaii DOE uses Job Order Contracting for quick fixes for school repairs – presented by Kelsey Soma Turek, Frnacis Cheung, and Riki Fujitani of the Department of Education; and Randy Horn, Matt Schroeder, and Joie Serra of Gordian
- “How to process Hawaii Product Preference Form SPO-038” – presented by Jah Laurita of the State Procurement Office
2018 Construction Procurement Conference
More than 200 people attended the 2018 Construction Procurement Conference, a one-day training procurement conference for state/county employees who procure or manage construction contracts. Here are some resources from the event …
- Building the Foundation – presented by Art Moore, CPPO, CPPB, Chief Procurement Officer, Capitol Development Board for Illinois
- “Best Practices for Procuring Green in Construction” – presented by John Bendon – Green Building Hawaii Consulting & Training
- Construction Procurement Challenges and Solutions Table-Top Exercise
2018 SPOCon (SPO Conference)
More than 150 people from various state and county agencies from across the State of Hawaii attended SPOCon 2018.
Some training resources …
- Cooperative Purchasing – State Procurement Office – Purchasing
- Understanding the Power of eProcurement – presented by Bob Sievert – Chief Information Officer, NASPO
- Small Businesses are Good for Business! – Jim Mastin, Director for Small Business Programs OCONUS, Regional Contracting Office Hawaii/Alaska
- Hawaii Procurement Professional Excellence Award
- Performance-Based Contracting and Negotiations – Jeanette Nyden, JD, Commercial Contracting Coach, Sound Partnership Strategies, Inc.
Conference attendees had an opportunity to meet with vendors who have statewide and cooperative contracts with the state and counties.
The SPO continues to remind all employees who award contracts for a state/county agency or have other duties relating to the procurement of goods and services must comply with the State Ethics Code, Chapter 84, Hawaii Revised Statues. Such employees are prohibited from accepting any gifts from vendors or contractors who do business or are seeking to do business with the state. However, if a small quantity of a product sample is being used to evaluate a product, then the Ethics Code won’t prohibit the procurement specialist from receiving the product sample. Please read the Ethics Commission Quick Guide on Gifts for additional guidance.
SPOCon 2017 Program and Training Materials
Video and handouts from SPOCon 2017 are available
- Acquisition Planning and Market Research, by Krista S. Ferrell, CPPO, CPPB, of NASPO
- Buying Local – Hawaii Product Preference, by Robyn Pfahl, Esq., of the State Department of Agriculture
- IT Procurement – Best Practices, by Dustin Lanier, CPPO, of Civic Initiatives
SPOCon 2016 Program and Training Materials
Mahalo to the more than 110 state and county procurement/purchasing personnel, vendors who have statewide contracts, various speakers, ‘Olelo Community Media, and Governor David Y. Ige for making SPOCon 2016 a success. SPOCon, a one-day training event held on October 21, 2016, at the Hilton Waikiki Beach included
- An overview of NASPO ValuePoint Contracts,
- Info about Cooperative Purchasing,
- A presentation by and face-to-face interaction with vendors,
- Training on Contract Law Fundamentals,
- Training on Contract Management, and
- Training on Procurement Pricing
Please click on each topic above for a link to the handout.